What are the implication of the use of the term?

Welcome to Expanding Realities Forums Discussion Forum Inclusion What are the implication of the use of the term?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Realexpand 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Author

Realexpand
    Keymaster

jessica
    Participant

I have used the word inclusion a lot in projects and in my practice. From some perspectives I see it as a positive term. The more voices and perspectives are included, given space the richer our experience of the world is. However there are lots of questions. Who decides who needs to be included? Can the use of the term inclusion reinforce labels and perhaps experience of individuals as ‘excluded’?

jessica
    Participant

I have use the word inclusion frequently in my work and in the development of projects. I see the positive side of it. The more voices, perspectives and realities that are included in conversations, culture and in general the richer the experience of life.
    However there are questions around suing the term inclusion. Who decides who has been excluded and needs to be included. By using the term do we reinforce the label and perhaps the experience of exclusion?

hermann
    Participant

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soziale_Inklusion#/media/File:Stufen_Schulischer_Integration.svg” alt=”Inclusion” />
    Being included in one system does exclude you often from another one. A universal inclusion is hard to imagine. The therm “inclusion” has a bit of a negative “taste” for me personal. It implicates that you are kind of outside and need to be taken in and it is not your own act – you are getting included. The artists we are supporting have been included in a so called congregate setting who cares for people with so called intellectual difficulties – therms to label people change to be political correct or incorrect. To use the therm we named our collaboration “expanding realities” we work with the artists to “expand” their possibilities and the visibility in society. By changing / expanding the setting from a day care centre with “special need” facilities to art studios shared by other local artists, changes the perception of people where the role as a local artist is much more eminent as the role of a person with a disability. It is an ongoing and active process being part of or being included or “inside”.

hermann
    Participant

It labels you as someone who is not a part of and needs to be taken inside. Right now Ide and Rosaleen – two of our artists are in a Cafe creating art. People around us drink coffee, have conversations, read newspapers, use phones and computers etc. I am sitting at a table writing this and the question if they are included or not does not come in my mind – it looks all very natural. We do not have a sign or poster up with “Inclusive art”- we are not here with a huge group and minding staff , no special van parked outside. I guess a Cafe is a place where people with very different backgrounds can meet. Just now a man came through the door who sells coal and firewood around the corner – to warm up and to have a coffee. The man next to us reads a book and the couple behind us talk about films, tv and their favourite David Bowie song – I shouldn’t be too nosy. In short the setting is an inclusive one without the expectation to be inclusive. The place is running a business so I guess we can’t come everyday occupying a table and doing art. Apparently the vienna cafés shaped the 20th century more than the universities as they have been places of interdisciplinary encounter far more than the educational institutions. Recently someone told me that if you have to write inclusive on it – you know it won’t be in it. Good point. I guess everyone feels from time to time excluded and isolated and this is part of human life – but I can’t really imagine how it would feel to be permanently included by organisations, helpers and events. Another thought comes into my mind. What makes us feel good? It is a cold day today – so warm shelter (or a cool place in case you are in Madrid during the summer), nice food and drinks, a friendly atmosphere and work we are good in and or enjoy to do. Sounds like a simple enough recipe. sorry for these not always coherent thoughts.

Realexpand
    Keymaster

NOTES FROM PARTNER DISCUSSION

Still struggling to accept the reality of people with learning disabilities – not different still considered as ‘less’
    There are lots of False morals related to inclusion.
    Not accepting the truth of life. Avoiding the reality of it.

Inclusive/exclusive are not opposites – they are both desirable in different ways.

INSIDERS/ OUTSIDERS

Artistic world v. difficult for everyone, not just people with learning disabilities.

At the last Venice biennial there was a lot of work by artists with learning disabilities. The work is woven through with all other work, not separated. It was selected fitting with the theme and ideas of the curator.

Should Outsider Art be integrated to art fairs?
    Good market for Outsider Art, but it is still not integrated to mainstream – kept separate.

Outsider Art exhibition curated by a rugby player – hosted in Dublin and Cork. “Beyond Outsider Art”. The celebrity profile of Brent Pope who initiated and lead the event brought lots of attention to the exhibition. It was presented that the artist were outsideers and ‘discovered’ by Brent Pope enen though some of the artists have quite a consistent and established art practice. many had exhibited in “the Art of Inclusion in 2013.

-Street Art wasn’t included before, but now is becoming mainstream.

Our work just another way of working, not better, not worse – just different.

Some languages are very much repeated within a style – can be similarities globally of work with artists with learning disabilities. Same situation within Outsider Art.

Marisol/Luis referred to guy who liked the work of Debajo del Sombrero artists because it ‘didn’t look like it made by people with learning disabilities.’

IN general in Spain people don’t believe people with learning disabilities aren’t able to make good art.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.